What are the key benefits of distributing through Kudos?
- We have almost twenty years of experience in music distribution (vinyl and CDs), giving us a greater insight into what makes music sell. Many of the current crop of ‘new media’ digital-only distributors are technology companies first, music companies second. We are first and foremost a music company.
- Rather than distribute a large, indiscriminate catalogue, we impose a high A&R quality threshold on the music we accept for distribution. We can therefore apply our personal attention to releases we believe in and get them the exposure they deserve.
- We have built one of the largest available physical and digital account bases.
- For digital distribution, all encoding and delivery is handled ‘in house’, giving us complete control of the technical process and enabling us to deliver quickly, efficiently and cost effectively.
- You have a single point of contact for all your music sales. Your Kudos label manager can co-ordinate your releases on an international level.
- All your sales and content data are easily accessible through our label portal. You can also update, change or remove a release from our system and the change will be reflected through all of our retail partners worldwide.
- Our sales accounting is clear, concise and transparent, enabling you to easily account to your artists.
- We provide a wide range of additional services, from PR and marketing through to metadata language translations.
What deal does Kudos offer its labels?
Our agreements are very straight forward. On both physical and digital distribution we earn a percentage of net sales. We have no set-up charges, no encoding or production charges, no digital delivery charges, no remittance charges, no statement charges. The only charges we make, other than our percentage of sales revenue, are for specifically agreed additional services such as marketing and manufacturing. No nasty surprises. We only discuss specific distribution terms with labels who have met our quality threshold. Please use the form in the contact us section and let us know more about your release plans.
What territories does Kudos Distribution cover?
Our physical and digital distribution network is international.
What happens if I don’t have the rights for a given territory, or I have licensed an album overseas?
No problem, you can exclude specific territories both for physical and digital distribution.
Does Kudos offer P&D deals?
With a Pressing and Distribution agreement a distributor finances and project manages a label’s manufacturing. We offer partial P&D deals, where we fund a percentage of the manufacturing, recouping the balance from sales. Full details are available only on acceptance of your label for distribution.
Can I sell my labels music on my own website?
No problem, but you should check out our ‘K-Shop’ solution, where you can sell both your physical and digital releases, and we take care of billing and fulfilment. Here is a blog post which explains how our K-shops work, and here is one in action.
What does your digital distribution service include?
- Extracting, storing, encoding, and delivering your releases and corresponding metadata to digital music retailers in compliance with their specifications.
- Merchandising and promoting your releases, ensuring they get the best possible placement and exposure in the market.
- Providing you with promotional tools to help you sell your music more effectively to your fans
- Processing and reporting sales information provided by the digital retailers to provide sales reporting and accounting.
- Actively seeking new digital revenue streams for your music
- Paying you for your sales
Which digital stores do you supply?
A full list of the stores we supply is available here. This list is growing all the time.
What are your A&R criteria?
When we receive your submission we will be asking ourselves what YOU are going to do to persuade people to buy your music. The more successful you are at answering that simple question, the more likely we are to accept your label for distribution. In short, we need to know that somebody is going to want to buy your music. Much of this comes down to the music itself, but of equal importance is your ability to get your message out to the music buying public.
YouTube has sent me a copyright claim notice from [Merlin] Kudos Records. What does this mean?
If you upload a video to YouTube which uses any music that is distributed through Kudos Records you may receive a warning message or an email from YouTube along the lines of:
"Your video myYouTubeVideo.mpg may have content that is owned or licensed by [Merlin] KudosRecords, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it. This claim is not penalising your account status…."
As a digital distributor, we provide reference files to YouTube on behalf of our labels so that they can recognise when music that we distribute is uploaded to their video-sharing service. If you have received a message like this it means that YouTube has automatically recognised that some of the music that you have used on your video matches a track from our catalogue.
You do not need to worry about this message or take any further action. This matching process allows YouTube to properly credit songs and artist on user-uploaded videos and provide links to places like emusic and iTunes so that viewers can buy the music featured on your video. It also allows YouTube to account to royalty collection agencies (such as PRS in the UK) and share any advertising revenue with the record label and artist.
You can get more information about YouTube’s Content ID system and how claims work here.
Search the site
- ~ Aly Gillani, First Word
I’ve worked with Kudos for eight years and have found our working relationship invaluable. As well as giving us clear and concise sales reports, their advice with releases has been crucial for our development. The label portal has been a massive part of this – enabling easy management of our catalogue in a simple and […]
- Read testimonials in full »